Sunday, January 10, 2010

Last day of Deer Season

I was all excited about the last day of deer season today, especially after waiting 3 weeks since I had my surgery.  It was only about 22 degrees outside, but no fear, i have many camo clothes to wear.  Three of us went, Luke, Ryan and myself.  I sat with Ryan at the corner of my favorite field.  An hour or so went by an finally the deer came out.  We scoped them out for about 30-45 minutes waiting for that perfect shot.   I had my sights set on the buck - not a big one, but he was a six pointer.  I lined up my shot and fired.  Nothing.  I was shocked.  I took two more shots at him before he ran off, still nothing.  I took another shot at the biggest doe that was left, another miss.  I found myself in awe and without any bullets left.  Now, I don't want to gloat, but I am not a bad shot, earlier last year, I shot a skeet clay at 200 yards with no problem.  I told Ryan that something was wrong with my gun, I mean what else could it be?  We got packed up to hike out, and I had to shoot at some sort of target to verify I wasn't just missing.  I sat up a bottle of water, shot and missed.  It hit high.  I then aimed about a foot and a half below the bottle and barely hit the top of it.  So, there you have it.  My gun is out of sight!  Moral of the story:  Sight your gun in each season so you can enjoy the hunt!

No comments: